Navalny in prison in the Arctic – level 2
Alexei Navalny is a Russian opposition leader who is now in the so-called Polar Wolf prison, The prison is situated north of the Arctic Circle.
His lawyer visited him recently, and he worried about Navalny’s well-being. The prison’s hard conditions and isolation worry people. Temperatures can drop to minus 28 degrees Celsius there. Navalny’s allies believe that officials keep him away ahead of the March presidential election. US officials worry about Navaly’s health and they ask Russia to release him.
Navalny is in prison for political reasons, but he keeps saying that he did nothing wrong. Last month, he spoke about the bad situation in Russian prisons, including poor dental care.
Difficult words: opposition (a group of people in politics who have different ideas and opinions), well-being (being healthy and happy), ally (a person or organization that helps another in an activity).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think Alexei Navalny's imprisonment is a political move to keep him from running in the next presidential election?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.