Nazi Weather Station – level 2
Russian scientists found a Nazi weather station in the Arctic. They also found more than 500 things, including pieces of ammunition, clothing, and meteorological equipment. Much of it was well preserved in the cold climate.
Ten people were working at the weather station in 1943. They were producing important weather reports. For protection, the station had a codename of “Schatzgräber”, which means treasure hunter.
However, it was ended the following summer. The people were evacuated and the station destroyed.
Difficult words: ammunition (things that you use to shoot people), meteorological equipment (objects which people use to get information about the weather), preserve (make something look good for a long time), treasure hunter (a person who tries to hunt/find a treasure – things like gold).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos