Netflix in Saudi Arabia – level 2
Netflix is an online service where you can watch TV series, shows and films. ‘Patriot Act’ is a show about serious things, but people present them in a comedic way.
One episode is about Saudi Arabia. In it, the host criticises the Saudi leader, Prince Salman, and says that it is possible the prince was involved in the killing of a journalist. The host also says that Prince Salman is not modernising Saudi Arabia, and he is only modernising the Saudi dictatorship.
Saudi Arabia has laws which ban videos that can have a bad effect on public order or public morals. The Saudi government asked Netflix to remove the episode and Netflix removed it. Breaking the laws can mean up to five years in prison or a fine of up to $800,000.
However, you can still see the full episode outside of Saudi Arabia, and parts of it are available on the ‘Patriot Act’ YouTube channel.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.