New African Football League starts – level 3
The African Football League, a new continental super league featuring eight teams, started in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania, drawing a capacity crowd of 60,000.
The opening match saw home team Simba tie 2-2 with Africa’s most successful team, Al Ahly from Egypt. This was the first leg of the quarter-finals, and the two teams will face each other again in Cairo for the return fixture. The competition was initially envisioned by FIFA president Gianni Infantino as a 24-team tournament with substantial prize money. However, the league has now begun as a knockout competition lasting 17 days, offering each team 1 million dollars for participation and 4 million dollars for the winner.
The league is supported by a single sponsor, Visit Saudi, the tourism authority of Saudi Arabia.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think is the likelihood of the African Football League becoming a successful 24-team tournament?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.