New Alzheimer’s Drug – level 2
A US company tested a new drug that could slow Alzheimer’s disease. The drug would not stop the disease, but it would slow its symptoms.
On Wednesday, the company said that there was strong information that the drug was effective. But some people did not believe it, because one of two tests of the drug failed in the past. If authorities approve the drug for use in the US, it will be a new Alzheimer’s drug in decades.
Alzheimer’s disease is a brain disease, which means that it affects the brain and the nerves. It usually affects people who are 65 years old and more. The disease leads to problems with memory, planning or solving problems, and difficulty doing usual tasks. In the US, there are about 5.7 million people with Alzheimer’s disease.
Difficult words: symptoms (the things that happen from a problem), effective (something that works the way somebody wants), nerves (body parts that tell your body how you feel and that help the organs work together), difficulty (troubles).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos