New Alzheimer’s drug – level 3
Medical experts applauded the results of a study; the study followed an experimental Alzheimer’s drug called Lecanemab.
The phase 3 study spanned 18 months, and it enrolled nearly 1,800 participants with early-stage Alzheimer’s. According to the results, the drug slowed cognitive decline in some patients, which some experts said was amazing. This trial was the first to show clear and positive results because the drug lowered amyloid plaque amounts. These proteins play a key role in Alzheimer’s disease.
However, the drug may carry a risk of serious side effects. Nearly 13% of patients in the trial experienced a dangerous type of brain swelling, and some also experienced bleeding in the brain. These side effects are serious, but experts suggest that they do not frequently occur, and they MRI scans can monitor them.
Difficult words: phase 3 study (a study to see if a specific treatment helps a specific group of people), cognitive (relating to thinking or remembering), MRI scan (a medical imaging technique that uses radio waves, a magnet, and a computer to create pictures of the organs in the body).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.