New basketball record – level 3
This is the awesome moment basketball player Corey “Thunder” Law broke his own world record for the farthest basketball shot.
The Harlem Globetrotters basketballer achieved his second Guinness World Record on Wednesday, standing near one basket at Phoenix’s US Airways Center.
Tossing the ball over his head behind him and across the length of the court, the ball formed a looping arc that found its target more than 82 feet away (25 metres).
“I could feel, the first couple of shots were going off the backboard and I was talking to a couple of my teammates – Big Easy and Bugsy – I was telling them, the shot’s never supposed to go off the backboard. It’s always supposed to drop straight in, so when it left my hand the last time when I hit the shot I felt it right off my fingertips. It went straight in.”
Law’s shot – completed on the annual Guinness World Records Day – broke the old record of 72 feet (22 metres).
Difficult words: toss (throw), court (an area for ball games), looping (moving in a circular direction), arc (a part of a curve), annual (happening every year).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos