New Bridge – level 3
Italy has opened a new bridge in Genoa two years after the tragic collapse of Ponte Morandi that killed 43 people. The previous bridge collapsed suddenly in August 2018.
The new structure was erected thanks to round-the-clock construction, which continued even during the COVID-19 pandemic. The new bridge is made of steel and concrete, it measures 0.67 miles, and it is supported by 18 pillars. What remained of the old bridge was demolished nearly a year after the collapse to make room for the new structure.
During the official ceremony the Italian Prime Minister said that it was not easy to get into a celebratory mood with the pain caused by the tragedy still in place. According to the architect of the bridge, the structure is made to last 1,000 years.
Difficult words: erect (to raise something into a vertical position), round-the-clock (continuously throughout the day and night), pillar (a tall structure that is made to support a part of a building).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos