New Cancer Treatment – level 2
Three months ago, a teenager’s doctors found a rare brain tumour in his brain. He is going to receive new cancer treatment at the UK’s first proton beam treatment centre.
The proton beam targets the tumour exactly and does not damage other parts of the brain.
The new centre will help 750 people a year, and people will open a second one in London next year.
The teenager liked the proton beam machines and said that they were beautiful and looked like things from the future. He thinks that they will help him ‘really well’. He wants to be a doctor when he grows up.
Difficult words: tumour (an extra part in your body which can become cancer), proton beam (a stream of tiny things like electricity that have energy inside them), target (aim at exactly).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos