New coronavirus variant – level 2
In South Africa, scientists detected a new coronavirus variant.
The news worried scientists and world leaders because the variant was very different from the original virus. The new variant had many changes in its protein, and scientists did not know yet if the vaccines work against it. Some countries already stopped travel from South Africa and five other African countries.
Four countries already reported cases of the new variant. They were Israel, Botswana, Hong Kong, and Belgium. The President of the EU Commission said that European leaders had to do something very quickly. She said that it was important to stop travel to some African countries, because it could stop the movement of the new variant.
Difficult words: detect (to discover something), variant (a new type of virus), protein (a substance which is present in all living things, and it helps the chemical processes in them).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos