New Discovery in Luxor – level 3
Egyptian archaeologists discovered a 3,500-year-old tomb from the 18th dynasty in the country’s southern city of Luxor.
The tomb belonged to a royal goldsmith identified as Amunhat. Apart from the mummies, pottery, and a funeral stela, several double statues were found in the tomb too: double statues of the owner of the tomb and his wife with their titles, another statue with one of their sons and further double statues of the son.
Egypt’s Antiquities Minister said that the work is not finished yet, and people are expecting to find more objects and tombs in the area of the Draa Abul Nagar necropolis. Some decorations in the tomb had suffered a lot, but the archaeologists hope that the find will boost Egypt’s tourism.
Difficult words: tomb (a burial chamber/room), artefact (a historically important object), stela (an upright piece of stone), antiquities (objects, buildings and works of art from the ancient past), necropolis (a burial ground with complex tombs and monuments).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.