New drug for Alzheimer’s – level 2
The company Biogen made a drug for Alzheimer’s disease, which is the first drug which could possibly help people who suffer from the disease. It is also the first new drug in 18 years.
Some people were excited while others said that more tests were needed to prove the drug was safe.
The cost of the drug is $56,000 per year for one person, which could make $1 billion for Biogen in 2022. The hope is that there will be more drugs like this which will bring down the cost and that researchers find other cheaper treatments.
Difficult words: suffer from (to have problems because of something), prove (to show that something is true), bring down (to make smaller), treatment (a medication, drug, or therapy which helps with an illness),
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.