New industrial zones in Egypt – level 3
Egypt is building a vast industrial zone on a reclaimed mudflat on the Mediterranean, just east of the Suez Canal.
The zone is one of four under construction along the canal, and it’ll produce goods for both the domestic market and export. The Suez Canal is a transit route for about 15% of global shipping traffic, and officials hope that the strategic location of the zones means that they will succeed. The area along the canal stretches over 16 million square kilometers, and factories will be able to ship their products to Europe in 48 hours.
During the pandemic, supply chains from China were interrupted or halted, and officials believe that the new industrial zones will present an alternative for such situations in the future. The project is a part of a comprehensive plan to develop the entire area, and it’s expected to take 15 years.
Difficult words: vast (extremely large or big), mudflat (a flat area of very wet soil near a sea), comprehensive (including many details or aspects).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos