New Israeli government – level 2
Benjamin Netanyahu was Israel’s longest-serving leader, and he was the most important politician for 12 years. Last week, the Israeli parliament voted for a new government, and Netanyahu lost.
The vote was very close, and eight political parties became a part of the new coalition. These parties have very different ideas, and they cover the whole political spectrum. The new prime minister is Naftali Bennet, who will lead the country until 2023. In 2023, Yeshi Atid will lead.
People, who protested against Netanyahu, were watching the vote outside the parliament. When the government announced the result of the vote, they started to celebrate.
Difficult words: longest-serving (the person who was in a job longer than anybody else), coalition (when more political parties make a group and they work together), political spectrum (a system that shows positions of political parties from the left to the right).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.