New Land in Hawaii – level 2
Kilauea volcano is on the Island of Hawaiʻi, the biggest of the Hawaiian Islands. The volcano erupted last month and lava is coming out of it.
The volcano is a danger on the island. We do not know when the eruption will end. The lava flow came into contact with Hawaii’s largest freshwater lake and vaporised it in hours. The lava left behind a jagged landscape.
When the lava flow came into contact with the ocean, it formed a mile of new land. Any new land which formed in the national park belongs to the state.
Difficult words: lava flow (a river of lava), vaporise (turn into vapour/steam – water which is gas), jagged (spiky, rough, sharp).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos