New Materials from Larvae – level 3
The larvae of Black Soldier flies can be used for pet food and fertilizer; however, at Singapore’s first insect farm, they are being bred so that scientists can extract high-quality biomaterials.
These are materials that come from a living thing, and they can be used in pharmaceuticals or drugs as well as electronics.
The insect farm, Insectta, is farming the larvae for the valuable biomaterials that they produce. The larvae transform food waste into a material that is extracted into chitosan, melanin and, probiotics. Chitosan has anti-inflammatory properties and it is useful in cosmetics and pharmaceuticals. Melanin conducts electricity, and it can be used in semiconductors, batteries, and other products. Probiotics are a medicine or a food that help people.
Insectta’s technology gets the substances from the larvae in a single, environmentally-friendly process. Melanin has previously been extracted only from squid ink; however, chitosan is converted from titan, and the process requires very large amounts of solvent which has a negative impact on the environment.
Difficult words: extract (to pull something out from something else), anti-inflammatory (reducing pain and swelling), semiconductor (a material that allows electricity to move through it), solvent (a liquid substance that can dissolve other materials to form a solution).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos