New mirror in space – level 2
Two weeks ago, NASA launched a rocket from South America, and the rocket took a piece of a big mirror into space. The mirror was a part of the James Webb Space Telescope.
The part was so big that experts folded it, or it would not fit inside the rocket. The mirror is made from gold plates, and it was 6.5 meters wide. It was the shape of a flower. The most dangerous part was to unfold and fit the last plate. It was a successful operation, and the telescope was finally ready.
The telescope cost 10 billion dollars to build, and it is more powerful than the Hubble Space Telescope. It will scan space, and it will focus on stars and galaxies, which are more than 13 billion years old.
Difficult words: fold (to make something smaller by laying parts of it over the other parts), operation (a complicated action or activity of a person or machine), scan (to look at something carefully).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.