New Planet with Water – level 3
Scientists studying data from the Hubble Space Telescope discovered water vapor in the atmosphere of a distant exoplanet.
The planet named K2-18b is 111 light years away and it is the first one with water to exist in its star’s habitable zone, which makes it a perfect candidate to search for alien life.
The next step is going to be to detect chemicals in the planet’s atmosphere, which is going to take place within the next 10 years, according to the study’s lead scientist. These chemicals could indicate whether anything lives on the planet.
Difficult words: vapor (a fog), exoplanet (a planet which orbits a star other than the sun), habitable zone (the area from the star which is neither too hot nor too cold for water/life).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos