New rules for Swiss same-sex couples – level 2
In 2007, it became legal for same-sex couples in Switzerland to become official partners. Sadly, these couples still couldn’t do all the same things as heterosexual couples. For example, they couldn’t adopt a child.
In September 2021, people voted for same-sex marriage to become legal, and on July 1, it finally happened. For same-sex couples, it was a happy day because they finally felt normal.
Same-sex couples now can adopt a child together. Also, a man can donate sperm to two married women, so that they can have a baby together.
Some officials say that the law is very important because it says that anyone can love or be loved by anyone else.
Difficult words: heterosexual couple (a man and woman are together as partners), same-sex marriage (two men or two women who are married), donate (to give money or something else to someone who needs it very much).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.