New Tax in Qatar – level 3
Qatar has a new tax which some people call a ‘sin tax’, and this tax took effect at the beginning of the year, and it was implemented on goods that may be harmful to human health and the environment.
The extra money from the tax will go toward public services like schools, infrastructure and hospitals.
Exact prices are not clear, but there is a 100 percent tax increase on alcohol, tobacco products, and energy drinks, as well as a 50 percent tax on soft drinks. However, the alcohol tax only affects foreigners living in Qatar, since they are the only people legally allowed to buy alcohol.
Qatar is hosting the men’s football World Cup in 2022, and it is not yet clear how this new tax will affect foreigners who plan to visit. People suggested that alcohol could be served to visitors in special areas.
Difficult words: sin (an action against religious rules), implement (apply), harmful (damaging, unhealthy), infrastructure (the basic physical and organizational structures and services needed for a city or a country), increase (rise, growth).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.