New tortoise is discovered – level 2
People identified a new species of giant tortoise in the Galapagos Islands.
The new species lives in a 39-square-kilometre area in the east of Santa Cruz Island. There are around 250 of the newly discovered tortoises, and they are genetically different from a large group of tortoises that live in the western part of the island.
In addition to genetic differences, the two Santa Cruz Island species are also different in the shapes of their shells.
Difficult words: species (an animal kind), shape (what something looks like), shell (the hard body part which protects the tortoise).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos