New type of human is found – level 2
Scientists discovered a new human-like species in South Africa. They found more than 1,500 fossils from about 15 people. These people are called “Homo Naledi”.
The bones, which are at least 20,000 years old, can tell us a lot about the species. Homo Naledi was something between the modern human and an ape. These people’s brains were very small – as big as a gorilla’s brain. However, they had feet and ankles fit for walking upright.
Scientists found the bodies in a cave. The scientists think that their family buried the bodies there.
Difficult words: species (a type of animal or human or plant), fossil (when something turns so old it turns into a rock), ape (an animal which is like a big monkey; for example, the gorilla and the chimpanzee).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about “Homo Naledi”?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.