New ways to bury people – level 2
When someone dies, there are two ways that people usually follow for what to do with the dead body. One way is cremation, which means burning the body. The other way is burying the body in the ground.
Neither way is good for the environment. Cremation makes a lot of emissions, and burning in the ground takes up a lot of space. It also puts dangerous substances in the ground.
Natural Funeral is a US company which does water cremation and green burial. Water cremation is a process when workers put a dead body into water, and they mix it with some other substances. When the process ends, the body turns into a natural fertilizer.
Green burial is similar to composting. Workers put a dead body inside a special container with straw in it. They add some chemicals to help the composting. Both ways are legal in three US states, and the ways help the body return to nature where it came from.
Difficult words: emission (a gas or other substance which gets in the air and makes it dirty), fertilizer (a thing which people put in the ground to make plants grow better), compost (old plants, vegetables, or food which people put in the ground to help plants grow).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.