New Zealand Shootings – level 2
Christchurch is a city in New Zealand and last Friday evening, there were two mass shootings there. At least 49 people died and 20 people were seriously injured.
The terrorist was a 28-year-old Australian man. He targeted migrants and refugees mostly, and the shootings happened at two mosques. The police found an 87-page manifesto filled with his anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim ideas.
The country’s Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, called the day one of New Zealand’s darkest. She said that she would change the country’s gun laws.
Difficult words: mosque (a building where Muslims pray and come together for God), refugee (a person who had to leave their country because of danger), manifesto (a document in which you talk about your ideas and plans).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.