New Zealand Shootings – level 3
Last Friday evening in Christchurch, the largest city in the South Island of New Zealand, two mass shootings took place. At least 49 people died and 20 were seriously injured.
The terror attack targeted two mosques in the city. Police identified the shooter as a 28-year-old Australian man and charged him with murder. Police found an 87-page manifesto filled with anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim ideas – migrants and refugees appeared to be most affected by the shootings.
The country’s Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, called the day one of New Zealand’s darkest, and she would change the country’s firearm laws in response to the attacks.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.