New Zealand Wins Over Coronavirus – level 3
As most of the world continues to fight with the coronavirus, New Zealand has almost eliminated the virus. The country reported only one new case in the past four days, and it is reopening schools, restaurants, and shops.
New Zealand benefits from being a remote and sparsely populated island. New Zealand´s Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, acted quickly, and she communicated clearly and compassionately from the start of the epidemic.
In late March, with less than 100 cases, New Zealand closed borders, schools, and some businesses. Domestic travel was banned, and people were asked to stay at home. The country quickly reached high testing rates and used existing health records to track down people suspected of coming in contact with COVID-19.
Ardern urged people to stay careful, and reopening businesses are required to keep records of customers, which helps trace new cases of the disease.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.