News about the Colorado shooting – level 3
New photos have emerged which were taken at the chaotic aftermath of the Colorado shooting. The pictures are of the cinema’s auditorium where the gunman James Holmes killed 12 people who were watching a midnight premiere of Batman. More than 70 others were injured.
Prosecutors released the images in response to open record requests. They show the elaborate home-made explosives in Holmes’s apartment which he had rigged into a potentially deadly booby trap.
Holmes moved from California to Colorado in 2011 and started up his graduate neuroscience course at the University of Colorado in Denver. But he dropped out after a year. By that time, he was well into planning the attack and stockpiling ammunition.
He had three guns he used with intent to kill on the 20th July 2012. He dressed head-to-toe in body armour before slipping into the packed cinema.
More than three years after the attack, Holmes was sentenced to life in prison without parole in August.
Difficult words: chaotic (when a lot of things happen at one time), aftermath (the situation after a disaster), auditorium (the room where an audience sits), prosecutor (a lawyer who is trying to prove in a court of law that someone is guilty of a crime), elaborate (detailed and complicated), rig (to set up), booby trap (a hidden bomb that explodes when you touch something else that is connected to it), stockpile (to keep many things of the same kind), ammunition (bullets), parole (to let somebody leave prison early if he or she behaves well), intent (plan), packed (full of people).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.