Niagara Falls Freeze – level 2
In February, cold winds brought very low temperatures to North America. The Niagara Falls, which are one of the best tourist attractions in the US, froze.
The falls did not freeze completely, but they looked so. Thick ice made a crust on the falls, but the water was still flowing under the ice. The falls cannot freeze because there is too much water in them, and the water is very strong. It can never stop flowing.
The water stopped flowing only once in history. It happened when ice from Lake Eerie blocked the flow, so only little water was flowing in the falls. It cannot happen again because there is a special construction on the river which stops the ice.
Difficult words: completely (fully), crust (a hard top part of something), block (to make something impossible to move or flow).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos