Nigeria explosion – level 3
An explosion at an illegal oil refinery in southern Nigeria killed at least 110 people, and it drew attention to this lucrative business.
In Imo state, the blast left devastation at the plant where bodies were burned beyond recognition. Nigeria’s security forces said that they were looking for two suspects as possible perpetrators of the explosion.
Workers at illegal refineries steal crude oil from official pipelines, refine it in the bush, and they then sell it on the black market in Nigeria or export it. Over the last decade, illegal oil refining became a huge employer in the Niger Delta due to rising unemployment. Workers camp at refineries for weeks, and they often work at night. Besides the high risk of explosion, these refineries cause major air and water pollution.
Difficult words: lucrative (when you make a large profit), beyond recognition (to such a degree that someone or something can’t be recognized), perpetrator (a person who committed a crime).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos