Nigeria has a new president – level 2
Nigeria’s new President Bola Tinubu was busy making big changes in his first month in office.
These changes aim to improve the country’s slow economy. Investors welcome these efforts, but some experts and business leaders warn that there are still many problems. Shortly after becoming president, Tinubu removed a popular fuel subsidy that was in place for a long time. He also quickly suspended the leader of the central bank and allowed the exchange rate to change freely. These changes should have long-term benefits. The World Bank says that Nigeria could save a lot of money this year because of the changes. But prices may go up. Petrol prices have almost tripled which affected millions of people who use petrol generators.
Nigeria has many problems, including high debt, power shortages, and security issues. Many people are without work. Experts and people are watching Tinubu how he can solve these problems.
Difficult words: subsidy (money which the government gives to people or companies as a form of help), suspend (to stop someone or something from being active), shortage (when there is not enough of something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What strategies can President Bola Tinubu put into place to tackle the issue of unemployment in Nigeria?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.