Nigeria School Attack – level 3
Armed men seized at least 317 girls from a high school in northern Nigeria. The gunmen had searched staff quarters and hostels to choose victims who they then herded into a forest.
It was the latest in a string of abductions that show how bad national security is and a gross violation of children’s rights. Such a horrific experience has a long-lasting effect on their mental health and well-being.
Nigeria’s presidency hasn’t commented on the attack yet; however, it’s the fourth mass school abduction since President Buhari was first elected in 2015. About 42 people, including 27 students, were kidnapped in the central Niger state last week. The incident followed a similar attack on another school in December when 344 pupils were taken and released within a week.
Difficult words: hostel (a place that provides cheap food and accommodation for students or travelers), abduction (an illegal act of taking someone away by force), violation (an action that breaks a law, rule, or promise).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos