No Lungs for 6 Days – level 3
Melissa Benoit from Canada was born with cystic fibrosis and taken to hospital with a severe lung infection back in April. Doctors gave her just hours to live, but they decided to try a radical surgery of removing her lungs while she waited for a transplant.
Technology kept the woman alive for 6 days by oxygenating and circulating her blood until her new lungs became available. She is currently recovering and continuing to work on her strength every day. She has even started walking with the help of a cane.
Difficult words: cystic fibrosis (a serious genetic disease which affects the lungs), oxygenate (put oxygen into something), circulate (move throughout something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos