No US and Australia at Olympics in China – level 1
The 2022 Winter Olympics start in Beijing, China, on February 4. The US boycotts the games. Australia is the second country to boycott.
The boycotts are diplomatic. Diplomatic means it has to do with relationships between countries. US and Australian officials will not go to China. Still, athletes will go.
The US and Australia do not agree with some things that happen in China. They say that China has problems with human rights.
Human rights protect all people in the world. It does not matter if they are men or women. It does not matter where they live. It seems that China does not care about human rights.
Some countries do not know what to do now. They work with the US. They also work with China.
Difficult words: boycott (to stop some activities with a company, government, or a country because you do not agree with some things that happen there), protect (to keep safe), human rights) (the idea that all people need fair treatment and help to live good lives).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos