No US and Australia at Olympics in China – level 2
Australia’s prime minister said that the country would boycott the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, China.
He said that it would be a diplomatic boycott, which meant that athletes would go to China but officials would not. The reasons were mainly reports about human rights abuses in China, and other things, too.
The prime minister said that China did not want to talk about these problems, and the boycott was the only way to show that Australia did not agree with China.
The US was the first country to boycott the Olympics. Some countries were US partners, and they were not sure what to do because the US was an important partner for them. Still, China was their biggest business partner.
Difficult words: boycott (to stop some activities, usually business activities, with a country or organization to protest against something), human rights (the rights which all people have, and it does not matter where they live or who they are), abuse (the situation when someone behaves badly to someone, or he uses something in a bad way).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos