No US and Australia at Olympics in China – level 3
Australia will join the US in a diplomatic boycott of the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics to protest China´s reported human rights abuses,and people say that this will further worsen the relationship between the two countries.
Australia’s Prime Minister Scott Morisson said that Australia had consistently asked China about its human rights abuses and many other issues; however, the Chinese government had not accepted opportunities to meet about them. Therefore, he said, it shouldn’t be a surprise that Australian officials wouldn’t go to China for the Olympics.
Morisson´s choice makes Australia the first major country to follow the US in deciding against sending officials to the spectacle starting on February 4, while both countries will still allow their athletes to go. The US’s diplomatic boycott left many US partners trying to balance the relationship with the US’s security and China’s trade.
Difficult words: boycott (to withdraw from commercial or social work with a country or organization as a punishment or protest), spectacle (an event that attracts attention or interest), diplomatic (the management of relationships between countries).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.