Nobel Peace Prize – level 2
This year, the United Nations´ World Food Program got the Nobel Peace Prize.
The World Food Program is the largest humanitarian organization in the world. The organization helps people in war and conflict zones who do not have enough food. Last year, 135 million people suffered from hunger in the world, which is the highest number in history. The organization helped 100 million people in 88 countries. During the coronavirus pandemic, the situation got worse in many countries, especially in Africa.
Program officials said that the prize was for all people and companies who risk their lives to give food to people in conflict zones.
Difficult words: humanitarian organization (an organization that gives food or medical care to people who live in dangerous places), conflict zone (a place where is a war or other serious problems), suffer (to experience something bad).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.