Nobel Peace Prize – level 2
Nadia Murad and Dr Denis Mukwege were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize last Monday.
Nadia Murad is a Yazidi woman who was kidnapped by ISIS – the Yazidis are a minority who live in Iraq. She won the prize for her advocacy for sex abuse victims. In her speech, she thanked everyone for the prize, but she said that brining the criminals to justice is more important. The Yazidis cannot return to a normal life if they are not safe.
Dr Denis Mukwege from the Congo won the Peace Prize for helping sexually abused women.
Difficult words: advocacy (support for, speaking about the problem to help people), sex abuse victim (a person who was sexually abused or attacked), justice (when a person who did something wrong gets in trouble or a person who had something bad happen fixes the problem that made that thing happen).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.