Nobel Peace Prize – level 2
Journalists Maria Ressa and Dmitry Muratov won this year’s Nobel Peace Prize for their work in the Philippines and Russia.
Ressa and Muratov worked hard to protect freedom of expression in their home countries. They represented all journalists in the world who supported the idea, and they gave them hope that the future can be better. Another Russian journalist said that the prize was important for all Russian journalists who were going through a very difficult time.
Muratov said that he wished that Alexei Navalny got the prize instead of him. Navalny is a jailed politician and enemy of the president Vladimir Putin.
Difficult words: freedom of expression (the right to say your opinion about anything), hope (a feeling that something good will happen in the future), enemy (a person who hates or fights somebody else).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.