North and South Korea conflict – level 2
The war between North and South Korea ended in 1953, but officially, it never ended.
In 1953, South Korean officials did not agree to sign a deal which would end the war. The two countries never fought again, but the two Koreas stayed apart. Now, Moon Jae-in, South Korea’s president, wants to end the conflict before his presidency ends in 2022.
In September, Moon spoke to the United Nations, and he repeated that he wanted to officially end the conflict. North Korean officials said that a deal was possible, but the deal was not easy to make. The US and South Korea asked North Korea to end its weapons program, which North Korea does not want to do.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.