North and South Korea conflict – level 3
North and South Korea are technically still at war since the fighting in the 1950s ended. However, it could all change very soon, with South Korea’s outgoing president Moon Jae-in leading the call to officially end the conflict.
As the Korean war slowly stopped in 1953, South Korean leaders refused to sign the armistice with military commanders from the North, which left the peninsula divided. Moon wants a peace agreement on the Korean peninsula before his time as president ends in 2022. In a speech to the United Nations in September, he repeated the idea, and he called for a political declaration that the Korean war was over.
North Korean officials responded to Moon’s proposals with interest; however, they called them premature. International experts suggest that while a peace agreement is certainly possible, it can only be made after North Korea agrees to denuclearization.
Difficult words: armistice (a formal agreement between two countries or groups at war to stop fighting for a particular time), premature (too early), denuclearization (the removal of nuclear weapons from a place).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos