North Korean leader and his wife – level 3
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and his wife Ri Sol Ju arrive at a flight combat contest.
The couple joined other senior officials to watch the country’s air force firing targets on the ground.
It comes, as the North renewed threats to conduct a nuclear test, heightening concerns that the reclusive state may set off an atomic device for the fourth time on the path to building an arsenal. Despite facing heavy UN sanctions, the country has defied pressure to abandon its missile and nuclear programmes, and this latest footage will have been a bit to show the world, and in particular neighbouring South Korea, that they’re a force to be reckoned with.
Difficult words: conduct (carry out), reclusive (isolated), defy (resist, reckon with (to be respected).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.