North Korea’s biggest rocket – level 3
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said that the country plans to have the world’s most powerful force.
The announcement came after Kim inspected a test of the Hwasong-17 on November 18, 2022; it is North Korea’s largest intercontinental ballistic missile. He said that North Korea’s ultimate goal was to possess the most powerful strategic force, unprecedented in the century, to reliably protect the dignity and sovereignty of the government and people.
Kim posed for pictures with scientists, engineers, and military officials who were involved in the test. Government media also showed his daughter, and her first appearance at the test implied she may become North Korea’s future leader.
The missile can reach the US mainland, and the launch prompted the US to call for a UN Security Council to hold North Korea responsible for its missile tests, which are banned by UN resolutions.
Difficult words: ballistic missile (a missile that is guided during takeoff but then travels freely and it falls to its target), dignity (honor or respect), sovereignty (the power of a country to control its own government).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos