Northern Ireland’s Changes – level 2
In Northern Ireland, the UK Parliament is going to legalize same-sex marriage and abortion. Soon people are going to stop investigations into women who wanted abortions. On Valentine’s Day 2020, same-sex couples can get married.
These changes are part of a set of laws that Northern Ireland uses to run without a government. It does not have a government since 2017.
The new laws start on Monday at midnight if Northern Ireland cannot choose a new government. Earlier on Monday, some government officials met to stop the changes, but they did not agree on who to elect as a new leader for their government.
Difficult words: legalize (make legal, make something able to happen), investigation (a study into what happened), elect (choose a leader).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos