Notre Dame Still Stands – level 2
In France, a fire burned down part of the Notre Dame Cathedral. It came down the Cathedral’s spire and burned through the ceiling. The fire started by accident.
The building’s structure and the two towers in the front still stand. A French official said that we are lucky that there were not 15 or 30 more minutes of the fire.
An official directed firefighters to save much of the smaller and important pieces of art. People will take out the larger pieces of art when the building is more stable. The art has smoke damage, but people can repair the works.
Difficult words: spire (a special tower that is usually on a church), structure (the overall shape and design of a building; the ‘skeleton’ of a building), official (someone who works for a government organisation).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.