October Effect – level 1
The October Effect is a theory. This theory says that dramatic economic events happen in October.
It is true that many bad economic events in the past happen in October. The New York Stock Exchange falls in October 1907. One of the worst economic events in the world´s history happens in October 1929. It starts in Wall Street in the USA. People call this day Black Thursday. It makes changes in the whole world. Similar things happen in October 1987.
It is not a surprise that people believe the October Effect. Some businessmen do not like October. However, many bad events happen in other months, too.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.