Octopuses in Hot Water – level 3
Deep-sea expeditions discovered hundreds of octopuses nursing their eggs near a deep-sea vent off the coast of Costa Rica.
The species has not been identified but its genus is Muuscoctopus. Octopuses in this group are typically loners, so it was surprising to see them grouped together.
The location for laying their eggs near the vent is less than ideal, and Janet Voight from the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago does not believe that the baby octopuses could survive.
It is likely that the females were forced to lay their eggs there because they are the surplus population, or the fissures had not had been as active.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.