Offensive Road Sign – level 1
In North London, someone puts up a sign. The sign is near a synagogue. The sign shows that Jewish people are nearby. A Jewish community group speaks to the police. They say that the sign is anti-Semitic.
Later on, people find out more about the sign. It is supposed to be provocative. It is not supposed to be anti-Semitic.
The sign is part of an art project. The project is by a French artist. He puts up 27 signs around London. The artist says that he is sorry. He says that his signs have no ‘bad meanings’.
Difficult words: synagogue (a building for God for the Jews), Semitic (about Jewish people), supposed to be (if you want a thing to be something, but people see it as something different), provocative (make people feel feelings).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.