Offensive Road Sign – level 3
In North London and near a synagogue, someone put up a road sign to warn people about the presence of Jews. A Jewish community group reported the sign to the police and said that it was anti-Semitic.
The rabbi said that the consequences of the sign were that it ‘traumatised people’ and reminded them ‘of some of the darkest periods in recent Jewish history’.
Then people found out that the sign was supposed to be provocative but not anti-Semitic; it was part of an art project by a French artist named Franck Allais, who had placed 27 signs showing silhouetted figured around London. The artist apologised and explained that he thought that the red triangles on his signs had no ‘bad’ meanings. Nevertheless, a local council removed the offensive sign from the Jewish neighbourhood.
Difficult words: Semitic (relating to the Jewish faith), traumatise (hurt and upset someone), silhouette (a shadow of something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos