Office chair racing in Taiwan – level 3
It may not be an Olympic sport yet, but office chair racing has hit Taiwan with a vengeance.
Hundreds of competitors geared up to wheel themselves to the finishing line in this office chair race in Taiwan, and spectators watched on in suspense, cheering on participants as they manoeuvred across the streets of Tainan.
The rather niche event originated in Japan seven years ago, but this one was organised by Tainan shop owners to draw more attention to their district, making it the first time it’s been held overseas. And, judging by the crowds and the cheers, it may have just paved the way to a new tradition.
This participant said he dressed up in Dragon Ball costumes to honour the Japanese origins of the event and give out a positive energy.
And, despite the fun and games, it’s supposedly a lot more difficult than it looks. This competitor says it’s very tiring and that you should listen to music to warm yourself up for the big event. And, from the looks of it, everyone had a “wheely” good time.
Difficult words: with a vengeance (with extreme energy), gear up (to prepare), suspense (excitement), niche (popular only with a few people), wheely (this is a joke because it sounds like “really”).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos