Oil Drilling Laws – level 1
In 2010, an oil rig explodes. It is in the ocean in the USA. The explosion kills 11 people. A lot of oil gets into the ocean. It is bad. President Obama makes stronger oil drilling laws.
President Trump and his people do not like the laws. They say that they want to change some of the laws. They want to stop some. They say that they want better laws which help America.
Some people do not want to change the laws. Trump says that the old laws do not make America safe. He says that the laws are too expensive.
Difficult words: oil rig (a building in the ocean that pulls oil out of the ground below the ocean), oil drilling (pulling oil out of the ground), law (a documents which tells people what they can and cannot do).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.