Oil-free Lego bricks – level 3
Danish toymaker Lego has abandoned a high-profile project to replace oil-based plastics in its bricks.
They discovered that using a new material made from recycled polyethylene terephthalate (RPET) would result in higher carbon emissions. Lego’s CEO Niels Christiansen explained that they had tested numerous materials but failed to find a suitable alternative. Nevertheless, Lego remains committed to sustainability and plans to create toys from eco-friendly materials by 2032.
The company embarked on this journey in 2020 to replace its plastic bricks with sustainable options. The main challenge was finding a material that was both environmentally friendly and retained the same color, shine, and sound as the oil-based plastic bricks.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What steps is Lego taking to ensure that they reach their goal of creating toys from eco-friendly materials by 2032?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.