Oil in the sea – level 2
A group of fishermen was angry when they found a large oil spill in the Gulf of Paria in Trinidad. A damaged pipeline started to leak in early August, and the fishermen did not like how an oil company dealt with it.
A big boat came, and it drove around. It made circles in the oil, which then started to go to the bottom of the sea. It was very dangerous for fish and other animals. It damaged fishing nets, too.
Officials said that there were hundreds of oil spills. The accident happened in one of the most biodiverse areas of Trinidad and Tobago, and if people eat the fish, they could have big health problems.
Difficult words: pipeline (a long pipe which is usually underground, and people use it to transport oil or gas), deal (to try to solve a problem), biodiverse (a place where many different animals and plants live).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.